Bill - technically, you don't need the DSN, but you'll just get the
system-generated temporary data set name in the mount message.  You don't
need the VOL=SER, either, in a vanilla (read - no tape management system)
environment.  Lack of a VOL=SER will cause z/OS to issue the MOUNT message
asking for a SCRTCH volume. But in a tape management environment,
rmm/TMS/TLMS do different processing for scratch tapes, which could lead to
the S413.

Crispin - methinks the message is because of the LABEL.  As long as the tape
was not created in a z/VSE environment (see Gilbert's posting), it should be
(1,NL).  For a quick graphical explanation, a regular standard label tape
looks like:

Header (HDR1/VOL1/optional USR1 labels)
Tape mark
Data
Tape mark
Trailer (er, I forget what goes here)
Tape mark

A non-labelled tape looks like

Data
Tape mark

If you processed a standard labelled tape with BLP (forces z/OS to not check
the headers and trailers as labels), it looks like 3 separate files. If you
read a standard labelled tape in z/OS or z/VM, you must account for this
when processing the tape in DITTO or CMS.

***==---> Oh, another thought just occurred to me.  If this is really a
standard labelled tape for which you are trying to process the data without
knowing the file/label information, then you -> need <- to use BLP.  NL
processing verifies that the first file on the tape is -> not <- a label.

Also, go grab TAPEMAP from the CBT site.  It's something that every sysprog
should have in his umbrella (sorry, caught an episode of The Avengers last
week), especially when dealing with "foreign" tapes.

Later,
Ray