-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jon Brock
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 2:28 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Just another example of mainframe costs.

It wasn't that bad for me.  Just so you can get to it, this URL should
work in the short term:

http://tinyurl.com/y6drqb

<SNIP>

I read the article finally (someone else sent me the link offline).

All I have to say is, I had a client that spent (my best guess) just
over US$100 Million to prove this.

First, they had a 3 TB Shark and the master file they needed had to be
flattened (no packed data, no redefined fields). That file and all the
others needed for the data base they had to build took up about 3 TB
alone (the open systems' sharks added up to about 9TB).

Then, they had to have 4 servers for web page service (including the
workload manager). 4 data base servers, 4 application servers, multiple
GiGE adapters (to handle the I/O workload).

Meanwhile the Prez (or his proxy) forbid CICS/TS to do HTML. And the
projected workload handled by the mainframe had been exceeded, the
designed workload could not be met by the open systems.

The ONLY system that migrated off the mainframe was the financial
application, which went to Oracle. I was told that the Oracle database
needed 5 times the disk space they had been using under z/OS.

The other projects were abandoned because they were not going to expand
the data center for the 3rd time to handle the number of boxes needed.

I had another client before this one that effectively pulled off the
same thing, migrating 3 mainframe systems (newly acquired entities) to
an open systems solution. They did not migrate all the mainframe systems
to one stable system first. They built the new system from scratch.
While management declared it a success, the users found it to be a
flaming disaster. They acquired another company that had a working
system, the CIO "retired" and they migrated to the functional system
(betcha can't guess what hardware it was on).

I have only been involved in two migrations from mainframe to
non-mainframe that worked. The financial app mentioned above and another
one to a S/36!

Later,
Steve Thompson