Gadi

Hmmmm...

Here are my notes on the QDIO TRLE from a report written in 2001.

I've included them all in case specifications other than the TRLE statement
name are found interesting also.

<quote>

MPCIPA Links in CS/390 IP
-------------------------

Transport Resource List Element (TRLE) Definitions

for T1 and T2

VTAMLST member OSATRL

         VBUILD TYPE=TRL
OSA&SYSCLONE.A0 TRLE PORTNAME=OSA0,                                    *
               READ=0300,                                              *
               WRITE=0301,                                             *
               DATAPATH=0302,                                          *
               LASTRW=DISALLOW,                                        *
               LNCTL=MPC,                                              *
               MPCLEVEL=QDIO,                                          *
               REPLYTO=3

TRLE statement name

The TRLE name must be selected so that it is an unique name for the OSA when
a particular OSA feature is shared by a number of LPARs. Where all the
sharing LPARs are members of a sysplex configuration, including the SYSCLONE
MVS variable in the name is clearly a solution which, additionally, allows
the TRLE definition also to be shared.

PORTNAME

The PORTNAME operand value is used to identify the OSA port. The same name
must be used in all TRLE definitions which refer to the same OSA port.

Note: The restriction that the same name must be used in all TRLE
definitions which refer to the same OSA port may seem an unnecessary
limitation when an OSA can possibly specify only one port. However, this
restriction allows for possible future enhancements to OSA technology using
MPC QDIO which may allow more than one port to be present.

The PORTNAME operand value is the name used in the CS/390 IP DEVICE
statement in order to refer to the TRLE definition.

READ, WRITE and DATAPATH

The READ, WRITE and DATAPATH operand values are three channel-unit addresses
associated with the OSA feature. Conventionally unit addresses 00, 01 and 02
are used. This fits the requirement that the READ address is even and the
WRITE address is odd. The READ and WRITE addresses are used,
unidirectionally, for control flows while the DATAPATH is used for data
flow.

Note: If multiple CS/390 IP instances using the OSA feature are present,
there must be a DATAPATH channel-unit address available for each CS/390 IP
instance. The channel-unit addresses are assigned dynamically. Even when
there are multiple CS/390 IP instances using the OSA feature, it is required
that only one READ and one WRITE address are specified.

LASTRW

The LASTRW operand value can be either ALLOW or DISALLOW. It is not clear
whether this operand really is relevant to an MPCLEVEL=QDIO definition.
LASTRW=DISALLOW prevents the READ and WRITE addresses from being "varied
offline" to MVS by accident. Since, formally, the READ and WRITE addresses
use MPC (multipath channel) logic and MPC addresses may be "varied offline"
while allocated, it is possible that LASTRW=DISALLOW, the default, is a wise
selection.

LNCTL and MPCLEVEL

The LNCTL and MPCLEVEL operands must be specified as shown, LNCTL=MPC and
MPCLEVEL=QDIO. "QDIO" means "queued direct input output".

REPLYTO

The REPLYTO operand specifies a timeout in seconds for the exchange of XID
(eXchange IDentification) requests immediately after a connection
establishment is attempted.

Note: Other operands of the TRLE statement are not required for
MPCLEVEL=QDIO. The MAXBFRU operand is assumed to have value 2 and the
MAXREADS operand is assumed also to have value 2.

The formal description of the TRLE statement can be found in "CS/390 SNA
Resource Definition Reference".

</quote>

In z/OS V1R8.0 Communications Server SNA Resource Definition Reference
section 2.14, " Transport resource list major node", specifically section
2.14.3.8, "name" we find the following:

<quote>

On TRLE: Assigns a required name for the TRLE. This name cannot match the
VTAMLST member name containing this Transport resource list major node.

For an IBM Open Systems Adapter-Express (OSA-Express) port operating in QDIO
mode the name specified here will be downloaded into the OSA-Express as OSA
name at the time the TCP/IP device for this OSA connection is activated.

</quote>

In System z9 and zSeries Open Systems Adapter-Express Customer's Guide and
Reference section 1.7.2.1, "Setting Up a TRLE Statement for QDIO", we find
the following:

<quote>

1. Specify a TRL name of your choice in place of TRL36F8A. Observe the
following rules to avoid naming conflicts:

a. The TRL name (also known as the OSANAME) must not match the VTAMLST
member name of the TRLE statement containing this transport resource list
major node definition. (In Figure 45, TRL name TRL36F8A is defined in member
TRL36F8.)

b. Each TRL defined for a single OSA-Express port must use the same PORTNAME
across all images.

c. In a given image, each active TRL must have a unique TRL name defined in
its TRLE statement.

d. In a given image, only one TRL can be activated for a single OSA-Express
port.

</quote>

I bring your - and all contributors' - attention to rule 1-c. You'll see
that in my report I assumed it mattered and, perhaps rather stupidly, I
didn't actually verify that it appears not to matter. I'm glad I waited for
some other responses before putting you on the wrong track. It seems a
correction to the manual is due.

Incidentally, you may get more responses to a query on Communications Server
IP - or indeed SNA - questions in the IBMTCP-L list.

Chris Mason