--------------------------------<snip>--------------------------
Or, someone will write a Rexx program that generates conforming passwords using some simple (and predictable) algorithm. Eventually everyone ends up using the same "strong" password. :-)

I've never understood why security administrators are so fond of dreaming up password rules that only serve to reduce the domain of acceptable passwords, thereby making them *easier* to crack rather than harder.
I think we had a pretty good set of rules:

1. Had to be 6-8 characters (enforced via RACF)

2. Could not be anagram of the userid (enforced by RACF exit)

3. Could not start or end with a single numeric; had to be at least 2 numerics if ANY numerics were to start or end the password. (enforced by RACF exit)

4. JOB statements with passwords present were automatically refused as a JCL error. (enforced by JES2 exit)

And managers would walk around at random times just looking for passwords written on Post-It's; guilty parties were warned and faced suspension or termination for repeat occurences. Having a "single signon" product helped immensely by reducing the number of passwords a user needed to remember.

The nature of our business was such that we handled large amounts of other people's money on a daily, and even hourly, basis. When I started there, in 1981, I was told that we processed enough money in a week to pay the National Debt. Needless to say, security and employee integrity were incredibly important aspects in running the business. Nobody who couldn't be bonded was even considered for employment. Any kind of criminal record, other than traffic violations, was also a "career limiting factor". Even downloading a file to a diskette was forbidden except with management approval; and the actual download was done by the Security staff!

Passwords are a very important part of security, but a comprehensive security plan covers much more ground than just passwords. How many shops use copies of production data for testing of new applications/systems? How carefully are production datasets and databases secured? What about physical security? Locks and keys? Who has keys, and to what? Are accesses to the offices logged? Are you watching who carries what into and out of the office space? Password management is an important part of security, but it isn't a comprehensive security plan.