I wanted to give a warning regarding APAR OA17011 (closed, with published
PTF's available). There has been a "hole" in IBM SMS Managed Tape for a long
time (day-1 possibly), were the "Retention Limit" value in the Management
Class was not enforced. So, if the Retention Limit was 0 and the JCL said
RETPD=10; it was allowed to have a 10-day retention. With OA17011, this hole
has been closed and the "Retention Limit" value is now enforced. This means,
if someone has a Retention Limit of 0 (instead of "NOLIMIT") and they create
a tape file with a RETPD=10 or EXPDT=99365 (think HSM) the actual JFCB
expiration date (and the date put into HDR1) will be zero as if no
expiration date had been specified at all.

If you have a tape management system (who doesn't), and the tape management
system has some retention rules (RDS for CA-1, RMF for TLMS, Vital Records
for DFSMSrmm); those will override and you will be safe. However, if you
have tape datasets that are SMS managed AND you do not override ALL JCL
specified retention values with rules, I would suggest you review your
Management Class definitions and make sure you do not have any Retention
Limit values that might have a negative impact.

I have had at least 2 clients lose many tapes (early expiration date means
early scratch) because of this.

Russell Witt
CA-1 Level-2 Support Manager