Neal Eckhardt wrote:
> I have been testing different values for HIPRMAX to limit the amount
> of expanded storage it uses.
>
> It appears that DFSort uses a Hiperspace OR a Data Space. Specifying
> HIPRMAX=1% will result in no usage of Data Spaces. Why not?
>
> The EXCP counts on SORTIN and SORTOUT are different depending on
> wether a Hiperspace is used or a Data Space is used (counts below).
> Why would SORTIN and SORTOUT EXCP counts be different?
>
> Neal
>
> Dataspace:
>
> DEVICE ACTIVITY:  (BLOCK COUNT, DDNAME, DEVICE, DEVICE TYPE)
>         229 SORTIN   1123 3390                125 SORTOUT  1228 3390
> 193 SORTWK04 103E 339
>         195 SORTWK02 103F 3390                191 SORTWK01 1227 3390
> 184 SORTWK03 1229 339
>           2 SORTWK05 1228 3390                  1 SORTWK06 1228 3390
>
> Hiperspace:
>
> DEVICE ACTIVITY:  (BLOCK COUNT, DDNAME, DEVICE, DEVICE TYPE)
>         117 SORTIN   1123 3390                299 SORTOUT  1227 3390
> 346 SORTWK02 103E 3390
>         332 SORTWK05 103E 3390                340 SORTWK03 103F 3390
> 321 SORTWK01 1228 3390
>         321 SORTWK04 1229 3390                  1 SORTWK06 1227 3390

You are correct that DFSORT will use Hiperspace OR Dataspace.  It will not
use them together.  Note that in DFSORT V1R5 it's Memory Object or
Hiperspace or Dataspace.

When you specify HIPRMAX=1% and there is no usage of Dataspace, does the
sort use Hiperspace instead or neither?

The EXCP counts are going to vary between the two methods because of the
way DFSORT allocates storage for i/o buffers.  DFSORT allocates different
control blocks and internal storage areas differently for the two methods.

If you would like to investigate this in more detail, you can send me the
sysouts from your runs and I can take a look at them.

It would be helpful to understand what your objective is in this testing.
Generally, we recommend you let DFSORT select the method that's optimal for
each sort based on the characteristics of the sort and the available
resources on the system.

Dave Betten
IBM DFSORT Performance Lead
[EMAIL PROTECTED]