R.S. wrote:
Ted MacNEIL wrote:
BTW: I changed 3 strikes rule to 5 strikes and number of password reset

issues was reduced over half (less than 50% left).

We have no control of 'N'.
Our security department picked three.

Some auditors told me that it should be 3. I always asked why - "because it should be 3. Everywhere is 3". My answer: "here is 5, si it invalid number? It's not true about everywhere, because in many places it's infinity".
I also discussed it on RACF-L.
The only reasonable answer I've got is it came from baseball rule: "three strikes and you're out". Maybe the rule sounds different I have no idea about baseball rules. I'm not sure if there are any. <g>

At one time (a number of years ago) we had a RACF revoke limit > 5. Got similar argument from auditors who wanted 3. We analyzed RACF SMF records to determine how much lowering the threshold would raise number of daily revokes on legitimate users to arrive at some estimate of cost in terms of user aggravation and increased workload/staffing of the Help Desk and determined that for us 5 was a reasonable value and have stuck with it. We have specific applications that will force the user out after 3 attempts, but actual revoke takes 5 consecutive bad attempts from any combination of applications. We're talking here about userids that aren't directly exposed to the Internet, so there is some physical security involved as well; and there is also a daily review of failed logon attempts to look for unusual activity.

Any auditor that claims everyone uses 3 or that there is something magic that makes "3" optimum is shoveling B.S.

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        [EMAIL PROTECTED]