zPCR and SOFTCAP are IBM tools to help you understand for a given
workload expectations for changing hardware and software.  Have you
tried those tools?

http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/PRS268

http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/PRS1381

If you are growing your mainframe workload and developing significant
complex large applications which heavily utilize DB2 then upgrading to
Version 8 brings useful new feature and function and most importantly
additional scalability needed by many to support demands already here or
arriving in the near future.  IBM has provided a great deal of material
Redbooks, Webcasts, production documentation on DB2.    If you planned,
and tested, and planned, and tested then DB2 V8 brought few surprises
when it reached production and many benefits.   We expanded our DB2
bufferpools by over 10x so far and as a result have reduced I/O rates.
The best I/O is no I/O! Using things like fixed bufferpools helps offset
the CPU increases as does constant tuning by the wizards of DBA.  CTS
3.1 brought new capabilities and the cost was certainly justified if you
use he new capabilities to provide easier development and deployment of
SOAP applications.  The idea that there is a simple, single "increase in
consumption " for any release upgrade is not realistic but IBM does
publish a lot of information you need to consume because YMMV.

I don't know of any platform where new feature and function is not being
added with some expectation that customers upgrade hardware every few
years and are willing to do so in order to maintain currency and be able
to leverage new capability.  I don't have a good answer if you just want
to "keep the lights on".  Try running Windows Server 2003 on a box that
was good enough for Windows NT or NetWare....

Point... Running z9's, DS8000's, DB2 V8, CTS 3.1, z/OS 1.7.1 installing
1.8 in March, planning for zIIP, no JAVA workloads.

I am happy IBM is still pouring money into zSeries development when that
stops the platform really is dead!

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                (office)  301.986.3574

"The Reports of My Death are Greatly Exaggerated" -- Mark Twain

This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this
email/fax is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.