Indeed, in completing an ATF Form 4473, one is *required* to furnish a
"middle name" even if one has none, or only an initial.

> Of course Harry S Truman's middle initial was his middle name.   Same
> thing for the stage name of Michael J Fox (who thought the "J" in
> Michael J. Pollard sounded good).    But software keeps putting
> periods after these initials even though they are not abbreviations.

I know a fellow from high school whose first name is the letter D.
There was also a story a few years ago about a man who had his entire
name legally changed to the single word "Bear".

And then there's the fictional "B J Honeycutt" from "M*A*S*H"....

    -jc-