On 19 Jan 2007 08:57:13 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave
Kopischke) wrote:

>So what happens when that disgruntled employee decrypts a tape and
>downloads it to a USB memory stick and walks out the door with that ???
>Those memory sticks hold a lot of information and they're very small. At
>some point, you've got to evaluate the situation for reasonableness and
>call it good enough.
>
>I would also argue that the disgruntled employee scenario is a data theft,
>not a data loss. Prosecute relentlessly or it will only get worse.

It seems that one part of security that isn't emphasized is to have a
procedure that checks to see if such a crime has been committed.   We
can't do that by examining our data to see if they're missing - we
have to monitor to see if they show up elsewhere.

That might mean we keep tracer data in our database that are designed
for this task.