---------------------<snip>------------------
The previous shop I worked at had an MP3000-H50. Are you saying that instead of 1 Prod Lpar and 1 Test Lpar, we should have had 2 Prod Lpars and 2 Test Lpars so we could run in sysplex mode? We also would need to define a coupling facility, which I believe IBM always recommends 1 whole engine for. Of course, our H50 only had 1 engine. As I see it, a sysplex would not be very practical in that situation.
Not true, Eric. A Basic Sysplex can be established with no more hardware resources than a couple of EMIF'ed ESCON channels, set up in a ESCON CTC configuration. There's a noticeable increse in CPU utilization, but it's not usually crippling. And this Basic Sysplex can have as many or as few images as desiged, on as many footprints as may be desirable. Multiple footprints will complicate the setup, however. A single PROD and a single TEST LPAR is what we ran for years, until the "front office" decided that more LPARs were necessary. And a Basic Sysplex can run a GRS ring fairly well; we certainly didn't suffer from it, except when the "Front Office" decided that they were better at tuning than the people with the training and measurement numbers in front of them.

God bless the front office. Ya can't live with 'em and ya can't live without 'em. (sigh)