>I didn't know that JMS was identical to MQ-Series! Thanks for the
No, no, sorry for not being explicit enough...
JMS is certainly not identical to MQ-Series.

The fact is that JMS is a Java interface for accessing Message-Oriented-
Middleware. JMS requires something else (the MOM) to implement the actual
messaging for it. Typically, on mainframe, that MOM will be MQ-Series
(sorry, WebSphere MQ...)

The point I wanted to make is: on the Linux side, you may very well have a
Java program talking JMS, underpinned by MQ-Series for Linux. Connect the
latter to MQ-Series on mainframe and have regular COBOL programs talk
regular MQI verbs to get and put messages natively to the queues. That way,
you are not necessarily obliged to run Java on the mainframe.

You will need to read up on JMS. There is a bit of work to do in order to
format a message from a native program such that JMS can indeed deliver it
to the Java application. Google is your friend.

Cheers,

Jantje.