>This problem scenario must be extremely rare. I've
personally never seen it happen. Have you?

5 times in a one year span, circa 2.7/2.8 when the option was first introduced.
You have to have a very busy I/O sub-system, and run all your processors at
100%.

At the time, IBM was very conservative and told you to implement it in extreme
cases.
Now, with faster DASD, channels, and processors, I'd say "implement it", but
don't schedule an IPL for it.
And, don't worry about a 'mix'.

.
Questions?