/snip/

> Jeffrey Smith mentioned LASP: I hope it isn't surprising to anyone that
> you
> are not supposed to use that instruction, just as you are not supposed to
> do all sorts of things provided for the base OS to use in order to make it
> possible for your applications to run (including such obvious things as
> using LCTL to set various things).

/snip/

> Peter Relson

Just to be clear, I mentioned LASP as one of the many instructions intended
for the operating system to use for preparing a unit of work for dispatch.
When a unit of work is suspended, its current primary and secondary ASN are
saved somewhere and later restored with LASP (or equivalent). A similar
function may occur when popping a PC state entry with the Program Return
(PR) instruction. Either way, before the advent of ASN-LX-REUSE-FACILITY,
(ALRF), there was no way to know for sure whether the ASN was the same
"logical" address space that was bound to the unit of work at suspension.

Setting secondary addressability (SSAR) to an arbitrary space clearly
violates system integrity rules. On a sandbox system intended to crash
and burn, who cares? On a production system, it's clearly a no-no, but
I would guess there are still some ISV products being used on production
systems, which violate system integrity rules in a variety of ways,
including inappropriately referencing arbitrary address spaces, elevating
authorization for a unit of work running in an insecure environment, using
problem key storage in the common area, the list goes on and on. I've seen
all kinds of such shenanigans and I was slapped down by management when I
complained. (But I'm not bitter about it....eek!)

Two cents worth. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers
Jeffrey D. Smith
Principal Product Architect
Farsight Systems Corporation
700 KEN PRATT BLVD. #204-159
LONGMONT, CO 80501-6452
303-774-9381 direct
303-484-6170 FAX
http://www.farsight-systems.com/
see my résumé at my website (yes, I am looking for employment)