I brought up my sandbox LPAR in my basic sysplex for testing of z/OS 1.7.
The other systems are z/OS 1.4.  We use WLM managed JES2 initiators where
the work is assigned to one of four services classes with varying velocity
goals.  When running batch jobs on my 1.7 system, jobs for two of my 4
service classes would never begin executing (stayed in the input queue for
well over a half hour) unless I changed the service class manually or did
$SJ command.  I did not have this problem when the sandbox system was in
its own monoplex even though the WLM policies are very similar.  I also
had no problems on the other systems in the sysplex when submitting jobs.
This was on a very low utilization day so there was plenty of processor
although this LPAR has a very low weight.  The goals for the service
classes that worked correctly are lower than one of the service classes
that didn't work and higher than the other.

I remember this behavior from the past but haven't seen it in a long time
and I never did try and figure it out since it was on my sandbox.  The
last time I saw this was when I brought either an upgrade or service into
my production system (can’t remember which now) and I re-ipled and the
problem went away, then I got busy and didn't track it down.  Now that it
has happened again in my sandbox I would like to find out what is
happening so I don't repeat the production experience.  I have searched
the archives and IBMLink and either there isn’t anything there or I didn’t
search on the correct thing.  After finding some things on IBM-MAIN
related to PIs I looked at the workload screen in Omegamon II for MVS on
the sandbox lpar and the PI for all of the above was listed as n/a (I
believe I did get a PI for the classes that worked eventually after
running some jobs but not initially).  I do not believe I ever saw a PI
for the service classes that didn't work even after forcing a few jobs to
run.

The service class definitions are as follows:
Service Class JOBHI - Batch jobs HIGH
CPU Critical flag: NO
  #  Duration   Imp  Goal description
  1             4    Execution velocity of 40

Service Class JOBLONG - Batch jobs HIGH long running
CPU Critical flag: NO
  #  Duration   Imp  Goal description
  1             4    Execution velocity of 30

Service Class JOBMED - Batch Jobs Med
CPU Critical flag: NO
  #  Duration   Imp  Goal description
  1             4    Execution velocity of 20

Service Class JOBLOW - Batch jobs low
CPU Critical flag: NO
  #  Duration   Imp  Goal description
  1             5    Execution velocity of 10

(JOBLONG and JOBMED jobs would run, JOBHI and JOBLOW jobs would not).

I am sure I left out some necessary info and equally sure I include some
useless garbage but I don't really even know how to ask my question.  I
would just like to be prepared in case I see this on my PROD system.  I
don't like solutions of IPL and it MAY go away.

If anyone has seen this or has any ideas what is (or could be) causing
this I would appreciate anything I can get.

Thank you for your time and assistance,
Greg