Brent,

SRM still gets involved in volume selection for non-SMS volumes. It is a
much simpler algorithm, and my shaky memory says that the order is based on
LCU activity and number of allocated datasets on the volume.

Volumes already allocated to other new datasets in the same step also go to
the end of the queue - this stops you from having all your SORTWKS on one
volume.

SECONDARY space is not taken into consideration when the Primary space is
allocated.

Now what I don't understand about your problem description below is why you
have a problem when you code UNIT=(esoteric,6). Is this from an IEFBR14 at
the start of the job allocating a file to be written to in a subsequent
step? If so, your problem may be that non-SMS files do not catalog the UNIT
COUNT as unspecified candidate volumes.

For non-SMS you must also specify UNIT=(esoteric,6) in the JCL of the step
that writes the file so that SECONDARY extents can be allocated on up to 6
more volumes.

        //ALLOC    EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
        //NEWFILE  DD DSN=MY.NONSMS.DSN,DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
        //            UNIT=ESOTERIC,
        //            SPACE=(CYL,(1000,500))
        //STEP1    EXEC PGM=WRITEIT
        //NEWFILE  DD DSN=MY.NONSMS.DSN,DISP=OLD,
        //            UNIT=(ESOTERIC,6),
        // ETC,ETC, ETC

In example above the UNIT COUNT can be omitted from the IEFBR14 as it is
never used. Having it in the step that writes to the file is where you need
it.

Ron