Gilbert Saint-Flour wrote:
John,

The problem is the restriction imposed by the access-method (EOV, mostly) that a VSAM data set can't be part of a concatenation. As a result, if a program (SORT or otherwise) wants to read more than one data set and at least one is VSAM, then it must use several DD statements and different DD names.

What I would like is that SORT utility programs be enhanced with an option to read SORTIN data sets using several DD names, such as SORTIN01-SORTIN99. This is already what they do when the command is MERGE, but when the command is SORT, the only thing they do is read the SORTIN concatenation . Here's an example of what I would like:

 //STEP100 EXEC PGM=SORT
 //SORTIN01 DD DSN=VSAM.DATA.SET,DISP=OLD
 //SORTIN02 DD DSN=NON-VSAM.DATA.SET,DISP=OLD
 //SORTOUT DD DSN=....
  SORT FIELDS=(1,8,CH,A)
 /*

Uh, you mean DISP=SHR on those input files, right?

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

-- to be included in our opt-in list of announcements of
-- new courses and other products and services from The
-- Trainer's Friend, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]