Is it possible to ditto to copy all files residing on 3480 tape to 3590 tape? Of course the source tape drive is 3480/3490 tape drive and target drive is 3590 drive.
Two issues I am aware of:
1) DITTO will not catalog the output files so if you access the data via the catalog, it won't find the 3590 tapes. Remember that tape labels only contain the last 17 characters of the dataset name; DITTO will pass the truncated name to tape management for the output tape, which may also be an issuing trying to read the 3590s. 2) if you are copying FDR backup tapes, we doubt that this will work. We document that FDR backup tapes must be copied with FDR utilities or our FATAR or FATSCOPY tape utilities.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR