Interesting... after a few false starts I actually got this working. Had to change ICEGENER to IEBGENER (ICEGENER was getting a RC=12) and use a different PATH, but it works as advertised. But does this buy you anything? Looks like it's just routing the data through a USS file although I suppose with a large file you could have two jobs running concurrently and cut down on total elapsed time.

----- Original Message ----- From: "McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: Smartbatch for OS/390 vs Batchpipes OS/390

I don't know anything about the PIPES being discussed here. However, you
can "pipe" information from one job to another using standard JCL. Run
the following two jobs together, in separate initiators (of course!).
Oh, and make any JCL changes necessary!

//useridGW JOB (H00000I),'TESTPIPE1',CLASS=D,MSGCLASS=X,
// TYPRUN=HOLD,
//             NOTIFY=&SYSUID,TIME=NOLIMIT
//STEP002  EXEC  PGM=ICEGENER
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD  DUMMY
//SYSUT1   DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.MACLIB(READ)
//SYSUT2 DD PATH='/tmp/MCKOWNPIPE',
// PATHDISP=(KEEP,KEEP),
// PATHMODE=(SIRUSR,SIWUSR),
// PATHOPTS=(OCREAT,OWRONLY),
// DSNTYPE=PIPE,
// LRECL=80,RECFM=F,BLKSIZE=80
//
/*EOF
//useridGR JOB (H00000I),'TESTPIPE2',CLASS=D,MSGCLASS=X,
// TYPRUN=HOLD,
//             NOTIFY=&SYSUID,TIME=NOLIMIT
//STEP002  EXEC  PGM=ICEGENER
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD  DUMMY
//SYSUT1 DD PATH='/tmp/MCKOWNPIPE',
// PATHDISP=(KEEP,KEEP),
// PATHMODE=(SIRUSR,SIWUSR),
// PATHOPTS=(OCREAT,ORDONLY),
// DSNTYPE=PIPE,
// LRECL=80,RECFM=F,BLKSIZE=80
//SYSUT2   DD  SYSOUT=*
//

The GW job will "pipe" SYS1.MACLIB(READ) to /tmp/MCKOWNPIPE, which will
be read and printed by the GR job. Whichever one starts first will wait
for the second one to start. When the GW job signals EOF, then both jobs
will terminate.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer