On 14 Feb 2007 06:31:32 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (McKown, John)
wrote:

>> I think he is - but it might be more secure than in shops that require
>> passwords that are so strong that people don't remember them, but
>> write them down on yellow post notes.
>
>This is easy to stop. Restrict distribution and use of yellow
>post-it(tm) note paper.
>
>"Use of post-it note paper will be considered a security violation and
>subject to disciplinary action up to and including immediate
>termination."

LOL!

Trouble is, that's almost as bad as what is actually happening.

Individual shops can (but don't) spend the money for fingerprint
readers - I'm not sure if that solution would work universally (if
Microsoft, Apple, and Red Hat included standard ID software in their
operating systems).

It could be that everybody's waiting for someone else to solve the
problem for the Net instead of fixing their in-shop problem now.   The
payback time for getting fingerprint readers isn't that large for
those with desktop computers.    And if they are combined with good
cryptology, the security advantage for laptops is tremendous.

VPN software companies should be offering integration now.