All of the product that help maintain catalogs have the ability to
delete a specific VVR.  The main ones are T-REX from Dino-Software,
Catalog Recovery Plus from Mainstar, and Catalog Solutions from EMC.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Lester, Bob
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 2:03 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: BAD VVRS?

Hi,

   I'm converting some volumes to SMS and have a VSAM file that:

*       Was created and cataloged on a particular volume.
*       The catalog was then deleted.
*       The file was deleted, but the VVR was not. (?)
*       The file was recreated and cataloged in a different catalog on
the same volume.
*       The file is accessible and can be opened with no errors.
*       I seem to have 2 VVRs for the file, one good - one bad.

   CONVERTV TEST reports the following:

ADR724E (001)-FMSCT(03), ERROR DURING LOCATE OF DATA SET INFORMATION FOR
DATA SET VPFDT.CHKORD.MFDM0C0G IN CATALOG

                         TSGDP.CAT.SYSTEST, 01-AM-00012-00068

CMI RETURN INFORMATION IS : AH-00004-00120

IGW01068T UNEXPECTED RESULTS FROM A CATALOG LOCATE REQUEST. RETURN CODE
WAS 4

. REASON CODE WAS X'00000078'

   To fix this, I've been backing up the file, doing an IDCAMS delete
(which takes a non-zero return code), then running a DELVVR on the
files.  Then I reload the file and all is fine.  I verify this by
running CONVERTV TEST.

   Is there an easier way to do a DELVVR for a VVR that points to a
non-existent catalog?

TIA,

<*BobL*>