On 19 Feb 2007 18:08:58 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (john gilmore)
wrote:

>>   Likewise, I consider teaching Roman numerals a waste of time.
>>

>I instead judge anyone who cannot read (and write) Roman numerals
>subliterate.

Why?    If someone doesn't know past, say 100 - is that any less
useful as a hundred other measures of literacy (there is some measure
which you or I fail).

As far a literacy goes, I expect people to know the Old Testament
stories - but because it's a religious book, we aren't taught it in
schools.   I'm illiterate with regards to stories in the Koran - which
is a much more significant lack than Roman numerals.

As far as writing large Roman Numerals, I had to do that in a program
one time, and in researching, I found that there isn't just *one*
standard way of writing them.    (sort of like the way there used to
be multiple ways of spelling words).    But if it parses out
unambiguously, it doesn't really matter.

Computer literacy is something that changes constantly.