-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Clark Morris
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:54 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: TSO TRANSMIT of PDS member
<SNIP>
 I also believe COBOL is in a maintenance mode with no
vision for the future when it doesn't support 64 bit and XP link, yet
the only OO support for COBOL involves Java and there is now a 64 bit
Java.

<SNIP>

I have a Fujitsu OO COBOL running on Windows. I believe Fujitsu also has
it available for Linux. I have even written a program or two under OO
(which is rather interesting since I still haven't gotten my hands
around the OO concept - BMK.)

Some years ago I had the chance to ask COBOL developers about ESA. They
said that they were not going to support Access Registers unless and
until someone demonstrated a need.

Well, unless and until someone demonstrates a need for IBM to implement
a real OO COBOL, or z/ARCH exploitation, IBM probably won't do it (I
know, IBM sales/marketing can't sell ice-cubes to residents of the
Sahara -- long old joke about this). But give them a US$1B market and
they will figure out how to get all over it.

So if the academic world asks, or a large enough company needs to
migrate from some platform that Fujitsu supports with OO-COBOL, watch
what happens.

Meanwhile, if IMS, DB2, etc. are using 64 bit, but responding to SQL in
31 bit, why would COBOL have to change? Unless you can demonstrate that
you need a table larger than 2GB... (Which I think PACBELL could make an
argument for it, considering what they used ESA for back around 1994-5).

So is COBOL really in maint mode?

How about PL/1? What about CICS[/TS]?

Regards,
Steve Thompson