There were "bunches" of problems with the COBOL2 translator option
interacting with the DBCS compiler option.  I can't (quickly) find a summary
of what APARs fixed which problems.  You might want to check out
  PKPK26401
        and
   PK26933:

If you are a SHARE member, you may want to check out

http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/client_files/callpapers/attach/SHARE_in_Tamp
a_Bay/S8211TR132424.pdf

        and

http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/client_files/callpapers/attach/SHARE_in_Tamp