From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Cole
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:20 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: License keys for ISV products(What alternatives are there?

Receiving Timely Payments

At Cole Software, our own experience is that once a Purchase Order
has been cut and an Invoice accepted, by far the majority of our
customers pay within 30 days. Occasionally, it might take 40 days,
but it doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned, that's close enough.

As a person with a programming background, I didn't know much about
account payment procedures. I used to think, hey I send the invoice,
I get payment. Simple, right? Wrong!

Most accounting departments won't even accept an invoice unless they
already have a Purchase Order to match it up to. And to get an
accounting department to generate a purchase order, you've got to get
another department (our actual customer, the programming department)
to generate a Request for Purchase Order (RPO). And all this takes
time and for some companies a lot of hand holding on our part.

The trick is to get the RPO-PO-invoice freight train rolling early
enough so that the A-P Department will accept our invoice early
enough that we can get paid reasonably close to the lease expiration
date. This is where our Accounts Receivables department plays an
important role. At this small company, I am bless to have working for
me Kaye Crabill, a person who has had extensive experience with
corporate accounting and who has taught our A-R people the ins and
outs with dealing with A-P departments. It takes a lot of hand
holding on our part, but the benefit is that we almost always receive
our payments within 30 (sometimes 40) days.