Yes, IBM's "whois" does have an opt-out option for IBM employees. There are
various reasons why someone might want to have an unlisted e-mail address,
and some of them even make sense.

That said, I think you can reach any IBM employee (or assistant, or
voicemail) by telephone, at least in the U.S., as long as you know the name
and location.  In the U.S. the IBM switchboard at 800-IBM-4-YOU can connect
you.  They're also pretty good at these sorts of questions: "I'd like to
talk to Roger, but I don't know his last name. I know he has DB2 in his job
description, and I know he is based in California, although I'm not sure if
he's at the Silicon Valley Labs or in one of the other San Francisco area
offices.  I think he has the digits 585 in his telephone number."

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]