I remember earlier 3090 models did have 3370's for the service processor;
this was 1987-1988 or thereabouts.

Our IBM FE said that the designers used it because someone said to use up
all the 3370s that weren't selling.  Not that I believed that 100%...

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins
Roseville, CA, USA

German is essentially a form of assembly language consisting entirely of far
calls heavily accented with throaty guttural sounds. ---ilvi
French is essentially German with messed-up pronunciation and spelling.
--Robert B Wilson
English is essentially French converted to 7-bit ASCII.  ---Christophe
Pierret [for Alain LaBonté]