On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 21:47:06 -0500, John S. Giltner, Jr.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Because NetView is getting the message after the decision has been made
>to either write it to the console or not write it to the console.  That
>decision is made by MPF.  After thinking about it what you MIGHT be able
>to do is create a automated operator, assign it to a console, then setup
>the automation table to color the the message.

Prior to NetView for z/OS 5.2, what you said was true -- NetView made a
copy of the message and it was the copy that was run through the NetView
Automation Table. Any changes made to the attributes of the message by the
Automation Table only affected NetView consoles. However, in NetView 5.2,
NetView gained the ability to make alterations to messages while they are
still on the subsystem interface (SSI). This capability -- called the
Message Revision Table (MRT) -- allows NetView to alter the attributes of
all messages, including those that will be queued to z/OS consoles. Using
the MRT, you no longer need to use an MPF exit to alter the text and
attributes of a message. You can also use the MRT to suppress messages,
delete messages, etc. If you are a NetView customer, you can use the MRT
to avoid writing most MPF exits. An MPF exit is only required if you are
performing some type of operation that keeps information from message to
message -- this is something the MRT cannot do.

On the other hand, most MPF exits are fairly trivial to write.

FWIW, the MRT was designed with my assistance.

W. Kevin Kelley  IBM POK Lab -- z/OS Core Technical Development