On Mar 9, 2007, at 5:23 PM, Ron Hawkins wrote:

Ted,

Canada, right? Must be something peculiar going on in your part of the
Commonwealth.

I have seen companies from outsourced in Australia and Asia that have been happily running that way for 10 years or more. This includes Banks, Finance companies, retail stores, Telcos and Manufacturers. I have never seen an
"insource" after just 2 years.

Outsourcers I have dealt with pay sever penalties for mistakes that lead to missed service levels. Dumbing down the staff to the point you describe is
not financially viable.

Ron
Ron,

I will have to semi agree with Ted on this one. I have seen success's and failures. Usually the success's (IMO) are small potatoes type companies. I don't think I can remember any "large" companies that outsourcing really worked for any length of time. If I had to guess why, I would say internal politics but it would be strictly a guess. The political pressure is really intense at a few places I have seen. I personally know a Senior VP type of an outsourcing firm and the stories I hear would turn anyone's stomach.

Ed