On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:15:27 -0400, Jousma, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Mark,
>
>I'm not sure the define/recatalog's will work with the zFS's.  At least
>I was not able to get it to work.

It does work, I even tested it to make sure.  They key is the HLQ of
SYS1.  I said that in my post but I should have explained why. That's
what happens when you start rambling.  There is special code in DFSMS
to allow SYS1 (and PAGE) to be cataloged in multiple catalogs.

> I clone/promote the code from my
>maintenance zones to tech -> tech to dev -> dev to prod -> using logical
>copies for all datasets EXCEPT zfs's.  Since we have a separate
>mastercat structure for tech/dev/prod and my OMVS HLQ is in the
>mastercat,

OMVS HLQ... that is the recatalog issue. Change to SYS1.OMVS and
it will work.

>I use DFDss to DUMP the zFS on the ZFS owning system, and
>restore the ZFS on the target system.  In fact, since we run our
>serverpac provided zfs's read-only, I leave the dumped zfs images on my
>sysres so that the promotion to the next environment (say dev to prod),
>only required a DSS restore(with rename for the sysres qualifier).
>This process has worked very well for me.

Similar to what we did prior to non-SMS HFS.

>  To clone, I run just 5 jobs -
>1 clip the target volume, and reload IPLtext, 2 - logical dataset copy,
>excluding OMVS, & SMPE, 3 - restore OMVS zfs's, 4 create target csi for
>new target sysres & zonecopy, 5 - logical copy/rename all SMPE target
>zone support datasets(sts, mcs, log, etc).  All of which run
>concurrently in about 15 minutes.  BTW, I run a single mod-27 for each
>sysres.

I do it all in one jobstream.  A job similar to what I currently do
is on my web site in the JOBS/DOC section (CLONERES). Since I volume
copy my primary sysres with FDR, I don't have to worry about IPLTEXT.
I only rebuild it on the maintenance sysres when a PTF requires it.
As far as mod 27, we were just talking about it for 1.8 but it is
too big of a waste.  I'm only using slightly over a mod-9 (I just
had to go to a second mod-9 sysres for HFS when I installed XML toolkit
under z/OS 1.6).  Under 1.8 I have a few extra HFSes - PLI, COBOL,
Netview - in addition to the ones I had for 1.6 (ROOT, TSM, and
XML).  The only way I would consider mod-27 is if we also put our ISV
sysres on it (we roll out ISV maintenance / software as part of the
sysres set).  But I really don't want to put them on the same volume
because sometimes we clone the IBM sysres or ISV sysres from a
running version instead of the maintenance version.

Regards,

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group:  G-ITO