In a recent note, Tomas Fott said:

> Date:         Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:35:46 -0500
>
> If logmode is D4B32XX3 (non-SNA) or D4C32XX3 (SNA) then the rexx works OK.
> If logmode is D4B32782 D4B32783 .. (NON-sna) or D4C32782, D4C32783 ...
> (SNA) then start field is translated to colon.

The foregoing discussion has been entirely sufficient to persuade me that
in view of the variety of logmodes and terminal emulators any attempt to
mask input fields reliably by embedding 327x control codes in (emulated)
linemode data streams is an exercise in futility.  Just when your client
believes you have succeeded he'll make some purportedly insignificant
change and present you with a trouble report.

Meanwhile, the chatter has motivated me to submit my long-imagined PMR
concerning the failure of 3270 OMVS to entirely mask passwords when the
programmer uses "stty -echo" or tcsetattr( - ECHO ).  I took care to use
the term "security" in both the Abstract and the Text because I know
that gets their attention.

-- gil
--
StorageTek