In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 02/27/2007
   at 09:45 AM, Paul Gilmartin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>It's possible, with some planning, to design a CALLable API to be
>REXX-friendly.  ICSF is an example.  The chief requirement is that
>all control blocks and communication areas be passed to the API as
>parameters on each call, since Rexx can not conveniently generate
>pointers to obtained STORAGE.  An alternative is that the API
>allocate all communications areas and return pointers to them in a
>single control block so that the Rexx program can manipulate them
>with STORAGE()

I would consider that to be quite alien to the REXX world view.
Instead, I would propose that a REXX-friendly application will:

 1. Allow calling REXX procedures from within the application

 2. Register a subcommand environment.

 3. Provide functions and commands that return values in REXX
variables.

The REXX code should be able to do everything without chasing control
blocks.