I edited the [] to two letters and did a TSO change command to x'ad'
and x'bd' respectively.

I still got:
FSUM1009 Unable to execute the shell.
Options Report for Enclave main 03/20/07 12:46:02 PM
Language Environment V01 R07.00

My keyboard emulator said to use the cent sign (ctl-[) for 3270 and
something else for APL.   I typed the CTL-[ and got a cent.   It only
had the APL option for ]

I didn't figure typing in a "Hello World" would be so difficult.