I understand you perfectly. In fact, it sounds as though your experience has been more favorable than mine. They used to bite me regularly even before the SMS restriction was relaxed. Like you, I never create or use one now if I can possibly help it. DASD is cheap and the aggravation isn't worth it.

And yes, it disturbs me that IBM is now shipping stuff that way. The one that bit us today falls into that category.

And yes (again), "integrity" is not a word you use in the same sentence with "PDSE". Not unless you enjoy acquiring scars.

- David

At 12:49 AM 3/22/2007 +0000, you wrote:
>I avoid PDSE's like the plague.

PDSE's were great until IBM decided to support them as non-SMS constructs.
They took an (elegant) implementation and screwed it up with dual code-streams and other unnatural acts to force it into that environment.

When they first came out, I used them all the time.
But, since 2004, I have converted everything back to PDS.

It scares me that IBM is delivering product that requires PDSE's!
What's going to happen to the 'Zero Downtime' in z/OS?

We have integrity issues with PDSE at least once a month (and, I don't mean management's integrity!).