I would suggest you first get it working in the native shell, to make
sure that all of your uss and java stuff is setup correctly.  I had
similar problems trying to run make in batch jcl.  I ended up writing a
simple rexx exec and then invoking that via IRXJCL.  It may seem
somewhat convoluted, but it cirumvented the issues that seemed to crop
up with environment variables and the default shell with .profile
scripts running when I would telnet to do stuff.  Replace the make -f...
With your javac command.

HTH

Here is the sample rexx:

/* rexx */
parse arg wrkdir
rc = syscalls('ON')
If rc <> 0 Then Do
   Say 'Unable to set syscall environment, rc='rc
   Return rc
End
rc = mainline(wrkdir)
x = syscalls('OFF')
Return rc
Mainline:
Address syscall
"getcwd cwd"
say "cwd="cwd
"chdir "wrkdir
"getcwd cwd"
say "cwd="cwd
env.0=1
env.1="PATH=/bin"
rc = bpxwunix("make -f Makefile",,out.,err.,env.)
if (out.0 > 0) then do
   do i = 1 to out.0
      say "make: "out.i
   end
end
if (err.0 > 0) then do
   do i = 1 to err.0
      say "merr: "err.i
   end
end
if rc <> 0 then do
   say "bpxwunix ls ../macro/ failed, rc="rc
   exit 3
end
Return 0

Here is the sampl jcl
//YOURJOB JOB CLASS=A,MSGCLASS=P,REGION=0M,COND=(0,LT),NOTIFY=&SYSUID

//*

//MAKE     PROC MAKEDIR=

//REXXSTEP EXEC PGM=IRXJCL,

// PARM='MAKE &MAKEDIR'

//SYSTSPRT DD  SYSOUT=*

//SYSTSIN  DD  DUMMY

//SYSEXEC  DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=YOUR.CLIST
//         PEND

//S1       EXEC  MAKE,

// WEBAPP='/u/users/nfs/workload/ztestjcl/ztest/build'

//

Brad Taylor