TRSMAIN is a z/OS-only program.  (Aside:  didn't I read somewhere that
TRSMAIN was going to be an officially-supported program starting with z/OS
1.9?  Or was that wishful thinking?)

I see you posted the same question on VSE-L a couple of weeks ago and were
pointed at TERSE z/VSE's program.

Checking the VSE-L archives, in February 2005, I found a conversation
regarding TERSE, and there was a note from Ed Jaffe saying that he was going
to check if TERSE/DETERSE was compatible with TRSMAIN.  But Ed must have
gotten distracted :-) , because there's no follow-up.  My suspicion is that
it is not, especially since there's a comment in the documentation that the
program is copyright by Advantis.

For cross-platform compression like this, you'll have to look at one of the
zip-type utility providers, which has been discussed in the past.  (Has gzip
ever been ported to z/VSE?)

As long as I'm thinking about cross-OS data transmission...back in my first
sysprog job, the company I worked for, which had MVS, VS1 and DOS/VSE
computers scattered across the country, had programs called SPEAKER and
AUDIENCE that were used to transmit data via NJE connections.  I believe
there was some compression involved, too.  I believe the programs were
home-grown, but I've always wondered if they were a vendor or a
shareware/freeware (using terms of the mid-1980's) product.

And, for personal interest, I'm curious to know if anyone has a need for
XMIT-type functionality between z/OS and z/VSE (and maybe z/VM?) that
supports full PDS/Librarian(/MACLIB) functionality.  If so, e-mail me
off-list.

Later,
Ray