I can think of one POSSIBLE difference.  If you have compiled with FASTSRT
compiler option (which I recommend that people ALWAYS use), then to get the
DL/I input you must be using an INPUT procedure.  This puts this part (not
the OUTPUT part) into "native" COBOL (not FASTSRT) mode.

OTOH, when you use the "flat file" as input, then (assuming no INPUT
PROCEDURE) the entire SORT is done via FASTSRT.

The difference seems extreme for this, but it MIGHT be at least part of the
problem.  If you are using a SORT USING to handle the flat file input, try
doing it via an input procedure (with OPEN, READ, CLOSE) and see how that
compares to the original DL/I version.

news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...