From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Vernooy, C.P. - SPLXM
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:55 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Zos / file creation / dates

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Hello,
>
> Am interfacing w/ a customer who is working on an IBM 'box' w/ the Zos
> O.S. and
> natural. He is creating files for us but is having trouble creating a
> file w/ today's date
> in the filename.
>
> Can anyone help? (No unix like utilities are installed).
>
> In unix I would do something like :
> set filename = myLogFile_`date +%Y%M%d`.log
>
> thanks,
> tk

I am not sure what name you try to create, but you might be in conflict
with z/OS dataset naming rules:
z/OS datasets are a maximum of 44 characters, split into qualifiers of
maximum 8 characters and not starting wita a numeric, with a period in
between them, like: Q1.Q2.Q3.Q4

It looks that the first qualifier "date070328.log' is too long (10
characters). Try something like 'D070328.log'
Furthermore, your security system will probably enforce naming
standards, so a first qualifier like this won't probably be acceptable.

Kees.