[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 3/29/2007 3:07:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

When did Wylbur become SuperWylbur?

To add a little more to Steve Thompson's reply: WYLBUR, and its required telecommunications component ORVYL (might not have spelled that one right, but how clever), were developed at NIH and thus were in the public domain. At some point long ago, someone took a copy of the WYLBUR from the public domain, made large enhancements to it, and declared that new version to be in the private domain and an asset of Optimum Systems, Inc., headquartered in the SanFranBay area somewhere (I think Palo Alto). OSI began marketing this proprietary WYLBUR on their time-sharing service bureaus in Palo Alto and Rockville, MD, where I worked in the late 1970s. OSI's developers then made a super-enhanced version that they named SuperWylbur. I left their employ in 1978, lost touch with all the people, and didn't keep up with the company or its products. A few years after I left, OSI was sold to someone. Judging from Steve's post, that someone must have been, or ended up being, ACS. SuperWylbur became the asset of the principle developer who worked on it when I was with them, but he was not the original author. I remember a lot of developers' names at both NIH and OSI, but have no clue where they are now, except that you can reach Superwylbur Systems, Inc. by GOOGLEing for that name or I can give you my last known contact info via email. Bill Fairchild
Plainfield, IL

Not sure about the OSI to ACS, but EDS ended up with it at sometime. EDS was going to drop support for it, but 4 people purchased it and formed SuperWylbur Systems, Inc. Two of them were working for EDS as the support staff for SuperWylbur and two from two different companies that were using SuperWylbur. They still support it I am not sure how much they are doing in the actual marketing of it.

We are still running it.