-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Charles Mills
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:08 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: What's a CPU second?

Gee, thanks everybody for telling me about MP overhead and SRB time and
time-slicing and the rationale for MSUs. <g>

Would someone care to go out on a limb and give me a direct yes or no on
my
basic question?

If a jobstep is reported to have used .02 CPU seconds, for example, that
means it spent .02 seconds executing on one CPU, or a total of .02
seconds
spread across multiple CPUs -- the number reported is irrespective of
the
total MSU horsepower of the box, correct? Presumably on a faster CPU, it
would use fewer seconds -- but not fewer on a box rated at more MSUs due
more CPUs of the same speed. Is that right (neglecting MP overhead,
marketing MSUs, SRB time, etc., etc.)?
<SNIP>

"... the number reported is irrespective of the
total MSU horsepower of the box, correct?"  Yes.

"Presumably on a faster CPU... ...?" Yes.

A second of CPU time is a second regardless of how many instructions get
processes in that second -- which means that a faster, slower, cached
(or not), pipelined (or not) CPU is still measured in standard seconds.
It is the same unit that you and I deal with on our respective watches
(assuming you wear one and don't used a cell phone to get the time).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

PS. This is true for today. Get one of those quantum computers and all
bets are off. And has anyone seen Schrodinger's cat lately?