Tim,

We are using the same Firewall/VPN solution here as well.

Brad S. Carson
Manager z/Series Technical Support
Enterprise Systems
Laboratory Corporation of America
(336) 436-8294

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 4/4/2007 9:55 AM >>>
in our case it's inside the firewall, so access is via vpn software
that
can get inside of the firewall

Jack Kelly
LA Systems @ US Courts
x 202-502-2390

Tim Hare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
04/04/2007 09:48 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
z9BC HMC - Remote access?

On our boxes, the HMC has been on a "private" network, it's not exposed

our LAN - which means I have to go into the data center to do HMC
functions of course.   I was always wary of having my HMC on a network

visible to others - but it seems many are doing it.

What makes it secure enough for you?   Is it vulnerable to a
denial-of-service attack if someone keeps hammering at it?  And for
those
of you using AF/Remote or a similar product with an HMC interface - do
you

allow people to dial into that product from outside your LAN to do HMC

functions?

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation
(850) 414-4209
----------------------------------------- This e-mail and any attachments may
contain CONFIDENTIAL information, including PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION. If
you are not the intended recipient, any use or disclosure of this information
is STRICTLY PROHIBITED; you are requested to delete this e-mail and any
attachments, notify the sender immediately, and notify the LabCorp Privacy
Officer at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call (877) 23-HIPAA / (877) 234-4722.