On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 23:52 -0600, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> > Not really.  Since the *ix boxes max out at 30% utilization, you need
> >
> This statement has been repeated so often among mainframe
> partisans that it has come to be accepted without question.
> Can someone provide a source, attribution, citation, whatever?
> Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, minds - plural.
I had toyed with making a similar post.

I've no Unix background, merely Linux, but I'd be hard pressed to
believe this RoT (if it is such) is valid.
With respect to Linux, maybe it came from 2.4 kernel days - *lots* of
servers still appear to  run this for "stability".
Maybe it came from 2.2.

With 2.6 I'd be *real* surprised if you can't productively run the CPU
much harder - although I/O (including swap/page) traffic can be a bit
problematic at high rates.

And of course there are next to no useful performance/tuning metrics.
A real blindspot for some-one coming from RMF (yes, I've had a look at
rmfpms).

Shane ...