that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computer as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Staller, Allan) writes:
> Also more of *ix systems run in "supervisor" state than MVS. When I last
> Worked in a *ix environment "supervisor ("system") state was about 60-70
> percent of the total consumption as opposed to about 10% for z/OS.
>
> In fairness, this does seem to be a difference in the way the beans are
> counted. z/OS goes to a fair amount of work to assign the CPU
> utilization
> To the consuming task. *ix does not do this.

now cp67 & vm370 did strictly account for nearly every clock tick
... back when MVS "cature ratio" typically ran around 40-50 percent
... but could be less (and the "uncaptured" time was essentially all
kernel or other system services).

some posts discussing (along with old email) large internal applications
migrating from MVS to VM. recent reference about large Burlington chip
design Fortran app starting to exceed size available for MVS
applications.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#59 IBM to the PCM market

Part of the issue was it was becoming more and more difficult to find
places to stash away additional high-end machines (168, 3033, etc)
... but you could squirrel away 4341s in nearly every nick and corner
(but the lack of accurate timings, "capture ratio", played heavily)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006p.html#40 25th Anniversary of the Personal
Computer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#17 Ranking of non-IBM mainframe builders?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#19 Ranking of non-IBM mainframe builders?