QUERY - It is my impression that if I try to allocate a dataset with any of these options, the resulting dataset will get allocated as if they had not been requested (and the Catalog Record will no longer show these options for that dataset [ie: It will reflect the actual allocation status not the requested, but ignored, options]). Thus you can no longer define (the options are just ignored) nor allocate datasets with these options. Does the "the zOS release that removes support" refer to a situation where legacy datasets that were allocated with these options will no longer be usable?
Yes, it refers to a future z/OS release where the options will no longer work, any unconverted datasets will be unusable.

Note that, in current z/OS releases, even though IDCAMS DEFINE ignores IMBED, REPLICATE and KEYRANGE, FDR and DFSMShsm/dss can still internally allocate datasets with those attributes. Essentially, the catalog call to DEFINE the cluster still accepts the options, but IDCAMS DEFINE ignores them.
--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR