I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe my suggestion is duplicated.

I had to do something similar and I found very nice stuff in dfsort website to
work with dcollect output:

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/storage/software/sort/mvs/srtmdwn.html

Look for dcollect symbols and icestgex jcls. You didn't say exactly what you
need to do - my guess is
that obtaining dataset names is just the first step, and you can have
everything with it, including
dataset attributes, information by volume and sms configuration.

HTH,
Walter.