In a message dated 4/12/2007 1:57:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>I am trying to determine if an OFFLINE volume exists without trying  to
VARY it on-line.

Build a subroutine to do one I/O to a device, whose device number is passed
as a parameter, using STARTIO or EXCPVR, and in which the only CCW is NOP.
Make sure that IOS does not add any prefix to your channel program.  Then  test
the IOSB completion code for X'7F'.  Build a subroutine driver that  scans
all UCBs and calls the subroutine for each UCB that is offline or that  looks
possibly bogus for any other reason.  Before you do the I/O, however,  make
sure
that the device has at least one online channel path in the UCB and  that
nothing really bad is happening with the device (e.g., hot I/O, channel  path
recovery, boxed, etc.); then PIN it, do the I/O, and UNPIN it.

Or call the system subroutine IOSVVARY, which varies one or more devices
on/offline, directly yourself.  Its address is in the IOCOM.

Bill  Fairchild
Plainfield, IL

"The correct use of language must begin at  the very top of government....
The ruler must correct his own behavior for the  people to follow his
leadership."  [Confucius]