<snip>

> Before all of carry on in our smugness, I have seen a number of
> applications with intentional abends and created more than one batch
> process with that.  In the ones I did, it was because the problem was
> beyond the capability of the application to fix without human
> intervention and an abend was the way to force the data problem to be
> fixed.  There are also a number of unreliable installation grown
> applications out there.  Given that we let things die for out of space
> conditions, something which would baffle most Microsoft developers, I
> am not as critical of the approach of not digging the grave deeper
> when the user has bollixed the programming beyond redemption.  Both
> the assembler and the COBOL compiler have such abends.

True. As I previously confessed to, I have a subroutine which abends
with an S0C3 due to lack of a way to tell the caller: "You passed me
garbage!". I know that a number of our applications have specific
abends. But they at least put out diagnostic messages to help find the
problem. And MS can get "out of space" type problems. They just don't
have an architected abend for it. So they rely on the application to
trap and report on the problem intelligently. VSAM on z/OS is similar. I
know of one application which got into a loop because it just kept
trying to add records after VSAM indicated "out of space". The
application didn't look at the return code and just wasted hours of run
time. I prefer an ABEND in this case.

But, in the given case, I would have thought a dialog box with a message
about a corrupted input file, along with the name of the file, would be
significantly better than just crashing.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.