that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shmuel  Metz , Seymour J.) writes:
> The use of trailing zero as a delimiter, like the confusion between
> arrays and pointers, is omnipresent in the C world. I see no practical
> way of getting rid of it without ditching most of the software written
> in C. The best that you could do would be to introduce a new data type
> and hope that people started using it, and I doubt that even that will
> happen.
>
>>So, total revamp,
>
> Switch to PL/I?

the original mainframe tcp/ip support had been done in vs/pascal ...
and had none of the buffer overflow issues typically associated with a
lot of c-language based networking implementations ... recent refrence:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007h.html#8 whiny question: Why won't z/OS support
the HMC 3270 emulator

lots of past posts mentioning various buffer overflow related problems
with c language implementations
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subintegrity.html#overflow

the pascal language implementation had originally been done by two
people at the los gatos vlsi lab ... as part of a lot of work in tools
supporting chip design. the compiler was eventually released as a
product ...  first as IUP and then as program product. the
implementation was eventually also ported from the mainframe to
(workstation) aix.

much later, as part of corporate strategy moving to (COTS) off-the-shelf
tools ... some number of the tools/applications were ported to other
vendor workstations and then turned over to external (chip tool)
vendor.

in this exercise i was given the opportunity to port one such 60k line
(vs/pascal based) application to another workstation platform.
Unfortunately, the pascal implementation for that platform appeared to
have never moved past the stage of being used for student educational
purposes ... plus they had outsourced the implementation to an
organization on the opposite of the globe (which really complicated
resolving language and runtime issues). total topic drift in this
indirect reference using such tool skills for redoing airline
res ROUTES application
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#22 Bidirectional Binary Self-Joins
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#41 US Airways badmouths legacy system

for totally other folklore ... one of the two original people
responsible for pascal at the los gatos vlsi lab shows up later as vp of
software development at MIPS and then (later still) general manager of
the business unit that has responsibility for the original JAVA
product.