On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:57:57 EDT, Ed Finnell wrote:

>In a message dated 4/19/2007 1:31:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
>Paul Dineen wrote:
>>
>>http://www.mainstar.com/pdf/000-0123_Security_PR.pdf
>
>Pretty much FUD. From what I've learned. They went in on Employee Kiosks
>with keyghost or something and got in on the front-end server before
>anything  was encrypted. Other renderings on darkreading.com mentions
>back leveled  software at most levels.

>From a CNN/Money article dated a couple of days ago:

"TJX says about three-quarters of the 45.7 million cards had either expired by
the time of the theft, or the stolen information didn't include security code
data from the cards' magnetic stripes, since TJX masked those codes by
storing them as asterisks rather than numbers.

"TJX said the intruders also may have been able to tap the unencrypted flow
of information to card issuers as customers checked out with their credit
cards."

The first paragraph that I posted (above) makes it sound like it might have
been a man-in-the-middle attack (which can be done to/with z/OS as Stu
Henderson's SHARE presentation in Tampa demonstrated, per the proceedings
that I read earlier today).  The second paragraph supports Ed's assertion that
it was on a POS (in-store Point Of Sale) system attack.

The trouble with the POS attack scenario is that it is a little hard to imagine
that any store would see 45.7 million different credit cards over a 17 month
period.  I find 4.57 million difficult to believe in any store site much less
10
times that number.  The volume argues strongly that it was an inside job...
maybe a laptop left plugged into their mainframe IP network with a wireless
card broadcasting the results to the neighborhood (as Stu's presentation on
SNA security mentioned)??

I once heard a former CIA spook say that any POS system can be hacked from
a truck parked at the curb, if the price/value is right.  (Speaking from a
previous lifetime in marketing research.)  Maybe somebody built a proof-of-
concept device???  (Think: TEMPEST)

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI