At 20:44 -0500 on 04/23/2007, Ed Gould wrote about Re: Lnnnnn tapes mystery:

I have heard no complaint that the 44-character z/OS limit on data set names
is inconveniently large and should be decreased.

A long time ago (30+ years) I worked at a bank where the used a *LOT* (read most) of dsns that were 43 or 44 characters in length.

There is also the poor design of Tape Labels where you have only 17 positions to store the last 17 characters of 18-44 character long DSNs and also waste 9 of them for GDGs when the G and V values are already stored in separate fields in the label - IOW: if G and V are filled in (ie: Not Blank), this data should be used to suffix the supplied file name with ".GxxxxVyy" so that the limited 17 character field has USEFUL non-redundant information. For legacy purposes, do a sanity check and allow the use of the GxxxxVyy suffix in the DSN field for INPUT Tapes that were create before the new format was established.

Even better would be the definition of a HDR3/EOF3/EOV3 label with the TRUE 44 character DSN which IF IT OCCURS overrides the truncated information in the HDR1/EOF1/EOV1 label when read on systems that support the xxx3 labels.